Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 18, 2008

From the eyes of a child.

“If I had My Child to Raise Over Again”
By Diane Lemons
(From Chicken Soup for the Soul)

If I had my child to raise all over again :
I’d build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I’d finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I’d take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.

I would care to know less and know to care more.
I’d take more hikes and fly more kites.
I’d stop playing serious and seriously play.
I would run through more fields & gaze at more stars.


Hmm. Sometimes parents forget that children have a mind of their own from the first step they take to the day they get married and a looong time after. As we judge our children's attitude, so our children judge us.

As a daughter, I cannot deny the fact that I scrutinize every action and every decision my parents make. Those that I disagree with, I vow not to ever repeat them or do unto others. But sometimes, after the deed is done, then only do I realize I've echoed the very act I opposed and resisted before.

Thus, I pray for Allah to give me the ability to rectify my mistakes and persevere in becoming a true Muslim. Because a true Muslim never fails to recognize her errors and confront the future as a platform to amend her past sins.

But ultimately, please Allah, help me to become a good, patient and respectful daughter, no matter what the condition is. For those who bore you, feed you, love you, cherish you and made you who you are now deserves the very best from you..

"Your Lord (Allah) has ordained that you should worship none except Him and show kindness to parents. If one of them or both of them attain to old age with you, say not ‘Fie’ unto them nor reproach them but speak to them a gracious word. And lower unto them the wing of submission through mercy (defer humbly to them out of tenderness) and pray: My Lord, have mercy on them both as they nurtured me when I was little." (Qur’an 17:23-24)

3 comments:

Abdul Rahim said...

Hi Gurl,
Assalamualaikum.

Congratulations, you get more regular in your posts. From 2 months gap to two days. That's a quantum leap.

Your parents always love you, manifested in their unique ways. As you will uniquely manifest yours later.

Keep the spirit high... through the tests, worldly or spiritually.

Abah

Munie said...

cikpah. i miss u :) u get better soon ok! see u on monday! all the best!

love ya! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

miss u dear..
i learnt a lot from u..
and i guess u learnt a lot from ur parents..haaha..