Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 24, 2006

A special tribute to a grisly loveable old man

Yes. First, I should start on de-cluttering my brain - again. Although I suppose all I can find are mumbo jumbos of what appears to be bits and pieces of my life. Absentmindedly I have yet again misplaced an important date of the month. Guess which one it is this time?

This entry is dedicated to the man of my life, my hero, the one I look up to, MY DAD.

Imagine having to sleep at night with a wake up call every 20 minutes. With one of your hand tiredlessly henjuting your baby's buaian. Adding to the fact that the baby was always the light sleeper back then. Kedettiiing! Dbusssh! Auw! *whispers* Even the slightest sound would have me embarking on a crazy bordering on lunatic bawl. I bet my dad went through hell having me as his first born! But he pushed on, he fought, he survived.

We used to share a secret sacred bond. I remember when we were in Jitra, Kedah back in 1992, he had this big old bicycle. He used to cycle me around town, going into tiny isolated pathways into kampungs. Feeling the rush of the soft breeze, my face stuck against the back of that smelly old man. Hahha. But it was worth the stank. Each time we went for a ride, my love for him blossomed. And always we would arrive home without me noticing how long the ride was. Belok sini, belok sane, eh eh tiba-tiba dah sampai.

Then there were bedtime story sessions. He used to come into our room (my sister Afifah was quite young, I'm not sure if she still remember this) with a book of any kind, the one I was most fond of was the 365 stories - one day one story book, or he would just come empty handed and create one out of the blue. Each story always with a hidden moral agenda. And there would always be a cliffhanger. Ah, the mischieves of the human mind. A session might have only been less than half an hour. But those times were the times I treasured most.

This is the man that his family, his friends and his students look up to. This is the man that voices out wisdom every time he opens his mouth. This is the man that has always been patient with the "mengadaness" of the eminent women (read: wife and daughters) in his life. This is the man that always thinks of others before himself. This is the man that tries to fulfill your every need and desire. This is the man that goes to the limit to ensure the happiness of those around him.

Abah has always been a constant in my life. Back in the old days, he was not a man with words (tapi sekarang dah pandai cakap I love you! Hehhe). But his actions unceasingly shows his truest convictions to the ones he loved most.

Happy belated Father's Day, Abah. I LOVE YOU.

Ps: Forgive me for forgetting to wish you Happy Father's Day.

Kau mawarku.
Abah in a park in Nantes, France - me as the photographer


New punk hairstyle - yours truly as the barber ;)


Sikit roti Bah - Park in Noirmoutier


Location unknown, France


Me and dad

Peek-a-boo!

Disclaimer:
Pictures are taken by your-very-unexperienced photographer. Malu dengan Ikelah. Hehhe.

15 comments:

dith said...

Afie,

Better late than never!

So bila nak dtg sini and introduce your parents to us?

You are welcome to sleep over again!

Anonymous said...

Your dad is super cool! (bet he heard a lot of this already)
Even I pun look up at him tau. Heh. Kirim salam!

Anonymous said...

I hope you will read a story a nite to your children later (WHEN???):)

Mama Sarah said...

so sweet of you to post such entry. and daring too saying : "..smelly old man" you cheeky daughter you!

;P

p/s DITH: can we introduce our parents to you as well?

Arifah said...

DITH: Soon... soon... Your house mmg best, dekat ngan laut!!

ayu: Hehe. Kemang la di bace comment ko ni. =P

anonymous: I have a strong feeling that you're my mum. Hehhe.

Mama Sarah: Yeah. I'm pretty much a cheeky girl. And chubby too! =P

Anonymous said...

alahai. sweetnya

Ikelah said...

;)

hehehehe.... nasib sofi tak tulis macam ni.... bab pelupa tu.

super happy belated dad's day!

Anonymous said...

aik cam kenal je your dad...my husband pulak kenal both your parents. hehehe...tell your dad the twins have arrived! (dia ingat ke agaknya??) :-P

Arifah said...

Solehah: Thank you. He is. =)

Munie: Trimas dong. Udah makan?

Ikelah: Hahha. Are you that forgetful too?? I bet your are. Most cool dads are like that. It's like a trademark or something. ;)

mark_twain: Er. If you could introduce yourself, then maybe I can recognize you? *bewildered* Who's this actually?

Anonymous said...

afie, i'm kkk's sister..mother of the twins (twain). my husb ex-smap..bekas anak murid your mum. and both of us bekas anak murid your dad dlm program atu98. :)

Arifah said...

mak_twain Is your husband's name Hulwan bin Idris? My parents are wondering.. =)

Arifah said...

mak_twain: My mum asked "Are you from Kuantan?"

dith said...

*drroza is itchy to answer the above queries*

All answer is yes! ANd I am unable to open that picture of them above! The link is incorrect I think.

Anonymous said...

yup, betul n betul :D. alamak ni gamba mana lak nih? drp atu98 ke??? waduhhhhh (malu la ni)...hehehe.

salam to your parents from both of us..they are great teachers!!! :):)

ps: mak_twain is striving to become one too. :D

Anonymous said...

Your dad must be real proud of you!