Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

This is my gift to you


"Yikes! I'm ooooooold. How did it happen overnight?"

You will come to a point in life when that realization hits you that you've actually grown older (and wiser?). When you've accepted the fact that nobody's perfect, even the superman and superwoman of your life.... your own parents.

The SuperMan


Abah have been the one I always look up to. As a child, he was the archetype of fun and excitement. Always the adventurous person, he once drove the whole family to Bangkok, Thailand from Malaysia which was more than 2000 kilometers away from the state border. Yes, the picture above is proof of that daringness he posses. (My mum took the picture I think, the rest of us were sleeping soundly in the car)

He was never the serious dad. Lame incomprehensible jokes were his trademark. When we didn't laugh, he would laugh at his own jokes which would eventually cracked us into fits of laughter not because of his jokes but because of his ability to make a clown out of himself. Jangan marah Bah! ;-)

But then, his wisdom is undeniably great. To say that he is widely read, I would say, is an understatement. To me, his astuteness goes beyond what is printed in books or papers. Abah, I always cherish the interesting and intelligent conversations we had. The way I view life itself has been shaped by those, perhaps insignificant at that time, yet judicious chats.

Sometimes, however, his talent to shut himself off from the things he does not think important kind of ticks me off. You started talking to him, telling such and such, assuming he's listening when suddenly he'll say"Apa kakak cakap tadi?", after you already talk to him like for half an hour already! Hmm, is this why my mum likes to babble? Hehhe.

Regardless of his limitations, because of what he had taught me, not merely by words but most importantly with his actions, I have developed the ability to not judge people at face value. But to always accept them with all the shortcomings that they have, for life may not have treated them well before. This, my father teach. Thank you for this wonderful gift, dad.

The SuperWoman


I love this pic! You see that determined look on my mum's face? That's how strong-minded and stubborn she is in real life. And with that determination, she has prowled the world protecting us from all evils.

It is easy to misunderstand her strictness with headstrongness and defiance. Being around her, you either have to develop a flair to defend yourself, break down in tears or get stuck in silent rebellion. You either have to prove that you are able or else, you're not. You have to show that you are strong.

I guess (to those who know me), now you can tell where I get my garang-ness eh? =D

I used to dislike (to use a gentler word, hehhe) my own mum. Yes, I'm being very honest here. But that's how we grow up to see our parents right? When we were little toddlers, mums were to us Angels from heaven. When we grow older, they were always the person we see as a barrier to our freedom. When we turn into pigheaded teenagers, they always seemed to us a person we could never relate to. But when we finally attain the faculty of insight (or else become mothers ourselves), they are forever our stars!

So, as my father has given me the gift of wisdom and acceptance, thus my mother has bestowed upon me the gift of courage and confidence.

Love and devotion


We all have our vices. But that's how God created us, because only then can we learn from each other and understand the power of communication and connection.

My Abah and Ibu, they are not perfect beings, they never were. But they have been the beacon of my existence, the reason I am the unique person I am now. Without them, I would be nothing.

HAPPY 24th ANNIVERSARY,
MY DEARS!

I love you both to bits.

7 comments:

Madame A said...

My 24th Wedding Anniversary blog entry from my first born. Mums have this instinct that is unexplained.... I sort of can guess about some of the things that you wrote. Thank you for being so honest. I am sorry if I did not become the mum that you wish you could have. A mum's got to do what a mum's got to do.....sometimes :)

wanirani said...

arifah..u r sooooooooooo sweet!!!! =]

nice entry there..so honest, well-written..

aunty..happy anniversary!! i think u raised arifah to be a great person. may God bless everything that a-mom-needs-to-do that u hv done. huhu~

Abdul Rahim said...

You can't have both parents who are strict. Either one should be not both. Being far from perfect, as we know, we became parents not after years of training, but but by examples from our own parents. And you know what kind of trainings we both have on our pasts :). I am glad that whatever I do not have are complemented by my loving and caring wife. And I have filled up whatever "missing" from hers. As 24 years passed, we savour and are grateful for what Allah have given us in the past to now, good life, brilliant children and Alhamdulillah, as Siraatal Mustaqim.

Thanks kakak for the honest piece.

Anonymous said...

Saya sangat setuju.
Kakak memang garang.But I still love you.
You'll always be my lovely sister.
Nice post though.
The picture of Abah was taken by me.
Check out the link below:
http://metalab.uniten.edu.my/~abdrahim/thai/thai/5-2a.JPG

Arifah said...

I love you three!~ =)

ifos said...

this is a wonderful tribute, afie... and in some ways, your story's similar to mine ;)

Habibah AR. said...

Happy anniversary, pakcik & makcik! And thank you afie for letting us to know them through your eyes. :)